Welcome to the VAW-116 Sun Kings
VAW-116 Home
Points of Contact
Check-Ins
Career Counselor

ABOUT US

Ombudsman
Squadron History
About the E-2C
Photo Gallery

LINKS

CVW-17
NAVAIR PMA-231
NBVC
NBVC Family Housing
NBVC FFSC
Navy Housing Online
 
Pre-Deployment Information
 
List of Helpful Links
BUPERS Online
EAWS Study Resource
Military Pay Rates
Naval Safety Ctr
Navy Locater
Navy Recruiter
Uniform Regs
U.S. Navy
USN Ribbon Checker
Red Cross
 
Suicide_Prevention

VAW 116 group photo
Click on image to view enlargement

VAW-116 Sun Kings

Our mission: When directed, launch fully mission capable E-2C Hawkeyes on-time with tactically proficient crews to execute any assigned mission within our designated area of responsibility.

Our vision: We safely meet our mission while fostering a positive, professional working environment where all rates and ranks are proud and motivated to contribute to the mission and the Sun King Family.

Our ethos: LEAD THE WAY. Make no mistake, we are an integral part of the fighting force that guards our country and our way of life; failure is not an option. We take the initiative to go beyond what is required of us to ensure that success is always a certainty and never a question. As history has proven, the care of freedom is not long entrusted to the weak or the timid.

Our guiding principles:

If we talk the talk, we better walk the walk. The greatest leadership tool that we have is our own personal example. Telling people what we want them to do is simply not enough; we need to show them through our actions, our work ethic, our professionalism and our attitude. When those principles that we demonstrate are not upheld, we have the courage to hold each other accountable in a respectful manner. If we are corrected, we acknowledge the discrepancy and fix it immediately. This applies to everyone. ACCOUNTABILITY HAS NO RANK.

If there is doubt, there is no doubt. Ours is a profession of precision. Even the smallest of errors can produce catastrophic consequences that can result in the loss of life, failure of our mission, or both. That is why we strive to eliminate doubt by aggressively seeking qualifications and professional excellence, executing procedures “By the Book” and following all regulations and established procedures. And if there is ever doubt remaining, ASK THE HARD QUESTIONS.

Don’t win the battle to lose the war. We cannot think only in the short term. If we succeed in launching every sortie, but fail to ensure that our Sailors of every rank and rate are properly trained, cared for and vested in our core values, we have failed. It is our obligation to ensure that the watch is manned long after we depart. PEOPLE ARE OUR MOST VALUABLE ASSET.

10% of life is what happens and the other 90% is how we react to it. We will all face adversity at some point, and when we do, there is a choice we have to consciously make; either we get bitter or we get better. It’s that simple. ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING.

One Sailor really can change the world. As Sun Kings, we serve as ambassadors for our Squadron, our Navy and our Country. We stand as a reflection of all the generations of Sailors who came before us, and an example for all the generations of Sailors who will come after. Never forget that the actions we take, whether at home or abroad, can have strategic implications that could influence the course of history – for good or for bad. WHAT WE DO MATTERS.

VAW-116 CO
Commanding Officer
CDR Joshua F. Wenker
go to BIO

VAW-116 XO
Executive Officer
CDR Lawrence Nance
go to BIO

VAW 116 CMC
Command Master Chief
CMDCM John J. Lanza
go to BIO


 


VAW-116
13th St. Hangar #553 ; Pt Mugu, Ca. 93042



 
[VAW-116 Home].[POCs].[History].[E2-C].[Gallery].[CACCLW Home]
Last Updated: April 13, 2017

This is an official U.S. Navy Web site.  GILS Registration Number: 12879
Please read this Privacy Policy before entering this site.
Send recommendations and comments to the Webmaster.

Please see our Section 508 Accessibility Statement